Padua, Library of the Episcopal Seminary
Limited Edition: 300 copies
- Century XIV (end), cc. 301
- Dimensions 340×239 mm
- 301 carte
- Stampa fine art
- Applicazione dell’oro in lamina
- Carta pergamena trattata a mano per il raggiungimento dello stato ottimale di invecchiamento
- Legatura eseguita artigianalmente
- Cucitura a mano
- Incassatura su carta antica
- Coperta in pelle con impressione a secco
Comedy with the so-called commentary by Visconti Archbishop, which essentially corresponds to the commentary by Jacopo della Lana, with the exception of the chapter I and of the proem, both taken from the commentary by Andrea della Lancia called the Ottimo.
The work contains the Comedy by Dante Alighieri with the rubrics of each and the commentary canto by canto by Jacopo della Lana with the exception of the first canto of Hell and of the proem that come after the commentary named the Ottimo.
Provenance and ancient owners: it was purchased in 1720 after the death of the count Alfonso Alvarotti of Padua by the Bishop Giorgio Corner and became part of the Library of the Seminary together the librarian collection of the late noble.
The crest present in the first page Hell, is very deteriorated, but it could be attributed to Obizzi Family that was in touch both with Padua and Ferrara.
The codex was in Ferrara in the middle of del fifteenth century as in 1456 Gaspare di Tommaso of Montone made a copy of it for the praetor of Ferrara which was then illustrated and decorated strictly following the Comedy now in Padua.
The codex is richly illustrated by the same hand and presents an explanatory representation of the text content at the beginning of each canto. Refined ribbon initials decorated with fruit and flowers in each canto and commentary chapter denoting a vast and complex culture firmly based upon the post-Giottesque lesson, but even open to the most modern and sophisticated late-Gothic sensitivity.
Probable miniaturist: Michelino of Besozzo, one of the most successful exponent of the late-Gothic culture in Lombardy, who at the beginning of the fifteenth century worked in Veneto region in Verona, Vicenza and Venice.